Sunday, 29 March 2015

The Girl Who Wouldn’t Die, by Marnie Riches

I have just bitten my nails all the way to the end of The Girl Who Wouldn’t Die, and I’m quietly blown away. Speechless. In awe. Wow!
Marnie Riches’ crime thriller is due out on Kindle on April 2nd. The blurb reads -
When a bomb explodes at the University of Amsterdam, aspiring criminologist Georgina McKenzie is asked by the police to help flush out the killer. But the bomb is part of a much bigger, more sinister plot that will have the entire city quaking in fear. And the killer has a very special part for George to play… A thrilling race against time with a heroine you’ll be rooting for, this book will keep you up all night!
Luckily for me, I was given a copy early. I always knew I would return this gift with a review, so as I read I made mental notes…
  • Mention the powerful voice, unmistakably Marnie, coarse, rich and bursting with personality…
  • Talk about the intrigue, the slow drip of plot, the build up of tension, the jigsaw structure you mentally piece together not only while you’re reading, but between times when you can’t read because life is getting in the way…
  • Refer to the multiple points of view, which play out like a film – giving readers a glimpse of each slice of action before moving on to the next compelling scene…
  • Mention the setting – Amsterdam, Cambridge, South East London; the vivid contrast between cloistered academia and gritty urban life…
  • And most importantly, say something about George McKenzie – the girl who wouldn’t die because of her tenacity, her strength of mind and ballsy determination; say something about the way she pulls you through, hooks you into her world, makes you feel when she refuses to...
These things were all in my mental note book; they were all going to be part of my review. But now I’ve finished reading The Girl Who Wouldn’t Die, there’s another thing. I’m bursting to tell you what it is, but I don’t want to give it away. It’s hidden in amongst the multiple points of view, and sits there – an unsuspecting golden jigsaw piece – waiting for you to slot into place. The clues are all there, but Georgina McKenzie’s world is so totally absorbing you don’t even notice them until moments before the author’s reveal. And when you do finally see the whole picture, you wonder how you missed the signs. It’s clever, confident writing, and richly rewarding for the reader.
I absolutely loved The Girl Who Wouldn’t Die and I cannot wait for the next George McKenzie thriller.

Photo by Phil Tragen
The Girl Who Wouldn’t Die is the first of three novels in the George McKenzie series by Marnie Riches, published by Harper Collins.

Website: Marnie Riches     
Twitter: @Marnie_Riches    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.