Saturday, 2 April 2016

The Chocopocalypse is Nigh...

My rating: 5 of 5 stars
   
The Chocopocalypse is less than a week away and Blocka Choca bars will soon be history...

What would you do if the end of chocolate was announced? Cry? Panic buy? Eat nothing but chocolate until it’s all over?

Yes, me too... but in Chris Callaghan’s wonderfully imaginative and hilarious story, Jelly (aka Jennifer Wellington) refuses to take the news lying down. Not only is chocolate at stake here, her family’s livelihood is threatened, as is the future of her hometown, the famous chocolate producing Chompton-on-de-Lyte.

Jelly starts to question the people around her (notably Mrs Bunstaple, Dodgy Dave, and last but not least the everso villainous Garibaldi Chocolati) and sets up a scientific experiment to prove or disprove the chocolate prophecy.

This is an adventure story with a difference. It’s funny, clever and full of gorgeous characters you care about. I loved Chris Callaghan’s hilarious human observations and the utter lack of seriousness in this book, and I laughed out loud many times. Sadly, my own children are no longer young enough to read to, but I’m going to hang onto it just in case I ever have grandchildren! (Assuming of course, I don’t go down with a-lotta-choca-litis in the meantime.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.